Monsterpalooza

Someone recently questioned on why I'd put "horror enthusiast" on my business card, and my immediate response to that is: Horror is more to me then just a genre that I dive into on my free time, it's a part of my lifestyle. (Duh) And if you follow me on my other social networking sites, you'd know this as a fact.
Now, maybe one day I can bore you on how my fascination for all things spooky started when I was very young: Spoiler Alert ! (Sneaking out to go trick-or-treating with my friends at the ripe age of five due to my conservative upbringing) But for now all you need to know is: I enjoy long walks thru haunted houses, collecting baby bats, and perfecting my monster mash moves.
I love supporting year round horror events that happen here in Los Angeles, returning to Monsterpalooza is a definite must every year. Think of this like a Comic Con for all things Monster & Horror related: Three days filled with collectors, vendors, panels, celebrity guests, films and artists from all over the country gather to geek out amongst ourselves, I've never felt more at home with a bunch of strangers. The following is a two piece break down of this yearly event is as follows: Vendor Goods & The Monster Museum - fully equipped with selfies.


Now, take a deeper look of my personal 2013 Monsterpalooza experience!

EDWARD VON BONES created by MICHAEL CATHCART


 
Vendor Goods
Where you have an opportunity to meet the Arsitans who are responsible for bringing their nightmares to life

What you can find at the vendor booths: Everything from novelty hanging bats to huge creepy wax candles.

Once I saw that vintage movie poster in the back of Dracula - I knew  needed a photo of me doing the same notion.
Upon my request to sit there, I got immediately rejected by this man.  We then conversed our favorite horror films and realized we had much more in common then what meets the eye. He then invited me to sit and take this photo.


Yes, I bought this

William Stout is a conceptual artist and Production Designer from Pasadena: He's here every year and I'm such a fan






Baby Jason of Camp Crystal Lake



Laughing because I took a photo with this same zombie last year! Seen here

Ran into GREG NICOTERO in the halls of the convention center. Such a down to earth guy, we vibed right away, and prepped for this photo in our Inglorious Bastards reference pose. (!!)

Ted White as Jason Voorhees in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter! He shared with me stories on the start of his acting career  and how he hated wearing this heavy man made cast to get the silhouette of Jason perfectly, back in 1984.


Bob Elmore played Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre  (1986)  & Dan Yeager who also was Leatherface in one (of the many) remakes: Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)


Linda was apparently supposed to show up on Friday, but never did. People were wondering if she ever was going to make her appearance. This photo of her table if from Saturday morning, she actually came!

There she is!

This kind soul casually waiting in line to meet Linda Blair with a life size version of Regan from The Exorcist

Planet of the Ape's clan that blended in so well, had me laughing for a while

Um..

Cosplay from Tokyo Gore Police


This lady is totally wearing heels, well done.

A Stan Winston makeup demonstration of this man becoming a zombie


First panel: Q&A with the cast of Holliston !
 


Taken after Tom Savini's panel. He shared stories on his makeup and special effects early days in Dawn of the Dead to a journal he kept on set of Django Unchained.


Universal Hollywood Horror Night's creative directors John Murdy & Chris Williams had a panel explaining how they piece their yearly attraction together.


PETER CUSHING as GRIMSDYKE from TALES FROM THE CRYPT by artist RUSS LUKICH

Erik and Christine done by Casey Wong

The Mike Hill Display 
LON CHANEY SR. as The Phantom | MAX SCHRECK as NOSFERATU

JACK NICHOLSON from THE SHINING by HOWARD SENFT







The great works of MIKEY ROTELLA

MIDNIGHT STUDIOS producing some of the greatest skeletons I've ever seen



Day two at 5pm: Exhausted  / Relaxing with this guy

... Then jumped for joy because the dude from Aliens was here

Here's the Ancient Alien's guy (Giorgio) at his own booth selling shirts with his face on it - superb marketing strategy


My long lost brother

A Summer Sandwich: with Karen and Rachel. Rachel is the founder and festival director for SCREAMFEST
Screamfest is LA's own largest and longest running non-profit horror film festival. 



My only wish is that my kids are as cool as Karen's

Kimba the Witch: the most high flying, spell-binding, love blinding sorceress of the mystic arts you will ever meet




The Monster Museum
Set your eyes on some more serious works of art from talented make-up and special effects artists.

REGAN MACNEIL by PAT MAGEE

This full size JAWS and WALKING DEAD display by GREG NICOTERO and KNB EFX GROUP




Robotic RAY BRADBONES by MICHAEL CATHCART



Masks by RHONDA UNDERWOOD | Elm Street Glue - look at the gloves!


 Artwork inspired by the Twilight Zone original episode (one of my favorites) Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder


Ain't nothing like the real thing, but I sure hope you enjoyed my experience thru photos for  Monsterpalooza 2013.
Is it October yet?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where has Summer gone?

Summer Is Here